“It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.” ~Lena Horne
A very wise Black woman once said “Don’t agonize, organize.”. On this, the first day of World Kindness Week, I pledge to put this notion into motion…beginning with myself. My most pressing deterrent, and I’m sure many of my beautiful Sisters suffer the same, is that I judge myself too harshly.
Most of you are aware by now, that my cup overfloweth with ambition. Every waking moment is filled with thoughts of how to move faster, work harder, do more. As of late, I’ve accepted the fact that I don’t give myself enough credit for the tasks that I do complete or the necessary strides that I’ve made. I don’t want to look up at age 30, having realized the bulk of my dreams….only to learn that I’m miserable because I didn’t enjoy the journey! This week, I will be kind to myself. I’ll stop for a moment and thank God for the incredible position He’s placed me in. I will sing, laugh, dance, and be ratchet. I’ll allow my mind and body to focus on the beauty around me that I don’t acknowledge often enough. Here are a few ways that I intend to be kind to ME! Won’t you join me?
1. Negril Village Movie Night – If you’ve been slipping, and have yet to visit my website and social calendar at www.superdopekarmen.com — get yo life (*Tamar voice*)! Negril Village is a gorgeous Caribbean restaurant on North Ave that features dinner…and a free movie screening of classic Caribbean films. Check out my calendar for dates and times!
2. Groupon Spa Day– Deals make me happy. As such, this whole Groupon (‘member when CiCi sold her last album there…2 for 1?) phenomenon easily slaps a smile across my face. There are fancy spas, including Sydell offering deals that will truly knock your socks off. There is something to be said for relaxation and tranquility.
3. Yoga– Though a deal excites me, Free.99 is my favorite price. The truth is, I’d gladly pay these amazing instructors. Their time is valuable and the insight into this science of living is truly priceless. Click here for dates, times, and locations. More dates here!
4. Ratchet Behavior– I enjoy moments when I can drink 4 Loko and twerk in peace. And twerk I shall.
5. Dinner For 1– People watching is a sport that I rarely have time (or energy) to indulge in. Soon, I’ll get dressed and hit the town. It’s time I see what the captains of industry dining at the Commerce Club are up to.
6. Braid MY Hair!– We all know the struggle is real.