As we are on this natural hair journey together, embracing our awesomeness becomes challenging at times. Like early mornings, when you’re already late and your hair is being a total bitch. Or after sexy time, when you want to preserve the allure and attraction but the devil has taken hold of your hair so badly you think you need an exorcist. It is in these moments, when you decide that a protective style is best for you. Be it braids, Havana twists, Marley twists or crochet braids of any kind- rules still apply. Read and follow directions. You’ll thank me later!!
- DO Respect your edges. Big buns are beautiful (no pun intended), but put your hair up in moderation. No need to stress your gorgeous, yet sensitive mane everyday.
- DO Moisturize! The importance of protective styles will only be evident if your hair is well nourished. Your scalp needs your love and affection!
- DO Redip your feathers. The feathered tips of your protective style (braids & twists) are sure to need a refresh over the course of a few weeks. Simply bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Dip the feathers into the water immediately. Dry with large towel. Repeat as necessary.
- DON’T Wash your braids if they are waist length or if you aren’t fully comfortable with handling all of your braids or twists while wet. Synthetic hair is notorious for holding odors, both pleasant and pungent. Wash your scalp well. Rinse. and repeat if necessary.
- DONT Pull and tug. By all means, enjoy special time with your mate ladies. However, be mindful of slippage and potential breakage of your natural hair when too much pressure is applied.
- DONT Apply too much product an occasional light spritzing and daily shine or sheen spray will suffice (for the actual braid) Moisturize your scalp every other day to avoid the “root caking” that occurs by overusing product.
DO enjoy your protective style and DO ask questions if you’re unsure of how to maintain your style. After all, the goal is to help, not hurt your hair!